[linux-mm-cc] Re: [lc-devel] Chunk list issues

Nitin Gupta nitingupta.mail at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 05:45:00 EDT 2006

Hi Anderson,

Anderson Briglia wrote:
> Hi Gupta and others,
>
> I have a doubt related to chunk operations:
>
> - I guess you will use the virtual swap as the compressed cache for
> anon pages, right? If yes, how will you swapin/swapout chunks? If a
> single chunk points to a portion of a physical page, and the
> swapin/swapout operations handle entire pages of data.

Yes, vswap is for anon pages. I think you are mistaken somewhere...I'm not using
bio structs or anything to swapin/out pages from vswap.
So, for swap out: Get enough free chunks from free list and store compressed
page in them.
And, for swap in: chunk_head->chunk_list gives to first chunk and chunks are
linked. So, you can get data from all these chunks, (maybe) collect them in a
page, decompress it and return to caller.

I have started implementation for this compression structure and post when its
ready. This should also reveal possible problems which I don't see now.

Cheers,
Nitin