[OLPC library] What happens to all my Kindle e-books when I die?

Holt holt at laptop.org
Thu May 10 11:53:17 EDT 2012

    Where Do e-Books Go When You Do?

NYT excerpts:

    Amazon replied, "I'm sorry; Kindle content can't be resold or
    donated, or transferred between accounts. The purchase and download
    of digital content from Amazon.com, including content from the
    Kindle Store, is associated with the Amazon.com account used to make
    the original purchase. As a result, Kindle content can't be
    transferred to another person."

    So, if I'm reading this right, I can't give my e-books away before I
    go, not one of the entire 70 I've purchased so far. By the way, I
    appreciated the "I'm sorry," which was comforting even though it did
    sound a bit like I had already passed away...

    [Better news later, but...] not to be a pain about it, I went ahead
    and asked Amazon just exactly how this would work. Could I really
    give my account --- my e-books --- to someone before I die? And
    would the account last, well, for ever and ever?

    And the e-book Lord said, "I understand your concern regarding the
    Kindle content in your account in your absence. You may consider
    donating or gifting your Kindle to your relatives or your friends
    and you can share your log-in password of your account to them. The
    authorized users of your account can still access your Kindle and
    your Kindle library. Your Kindle library never expire unless you
    close your Amazon.com account. I hope this information helps! We
    look forward to seeing you again soon."

    Never mind the phrasing mistakes and subject-verb disagreements, "in
    your absence" and "see you again soon" are nice touches --- as if
    I'll be coming back. Which I well might, if I need WiFi to download
    the latest recommendations from my fellow readers e-mailing me from
    the here-below about books I positively cannot miss no matter where
    I am sent to spend eternity. Because one thing in this life is
    certain: You can bet your last e-dollar I won't be leaving my Kindle
    behind. No way in hell (pardon). I'm taking it with me. Why? Because
    I like it. And because I can.

    To my dear children: No, I didn't leave you my Kindle. But I did
    leave you access to my e-books. Get on my account (password will
    come later) and enjoy the heck out of yourselves. You can even buy a
    Kindle (think of it!) and register it to my account and have
    yourself a jolly old time. As for the hundreds of real paper books
    in my study, please don't fight over them: Take what you like, give
    the rest away. I'd recommend, however, that both of you read "As I
    Lay Dying" by Faulkner and "A House for Mr. Biswas" by Naipaul; so
    share...

    It turns out that, yes, you can take it with you when you head for
    that great reading room in the sky. All my mourners will have to do
    is tuck my Kindle (and cable) into my casket and I'll be set. Grave
    goods like these will be the envy of heaven or hell...

IN FULL:

    http://nytimes.com/2012/05/11/opinion/where-do-e-books-go-when-you-do.html

--
Help kids everywhere map their world, at http://olpcMAP.net !