[OLPC library] [support-gang] Image sizes on the wiki was: working hard @ Boston's

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Sat Apr 21 20:09:12 EDT 2012

I think it is easier to just upload the high res version once, even if
you explicitly mean to use one of the smaller versions for some
offline project.

Fred - you are right that the /directory trees/ of thumbnails are now
not browsable,but all of the individual thumbnails are world-readable.
http://wiki.laptop.org/images/thumb/6/6c/Green_and_white_machine.jpg/150px-Green_and_white_machine.jpg

SJ

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Christoph Derndorfer
<e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM, Christoph Derndorfer
>> <e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> thanks a lot for adding the instructions
>>> to http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Help_Activity_refresh#Images, much appreciated.
>>>
>>> As for the width of the screenshots we chose the 800px wide because that
>>> works well for consumption on the XOs (as it leaves plenty of space for a
>>> menu, etc.).
>>

>> When a 1200x900 pixel image is uploaded to the wiki and then displayed at
>> an alternate size, such as with the [[File:Screenshot
>> wanted.png|800px|ActivityName screenshot]] wiki code, then the wiki resizes
>> and saves a .png copy of the image at 800 pixel width in an /images/thumb/
>> branch folder.
>> See, for example, all the sizes saved here:
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/images/thumb/9/95/Journal_tag_mockup_frm_gary_v1.png/
>>
>> (Direct navigation to the thumb branches on wiki.laptop.org has been
>> blocked.  One only sees the message, "Down for upgrades. Come back
>> tomorrow!")
>>
>> The 120px and 320px images are saved for the thumbnail and preview on the
>> File page.  The others are generated when a new cropping width is requested
>> by some wiki code.  This allows the wiki server to cache the images for
>> better performance.  This also means that the XO laptop, or any browser does
>> not need to process the original image size.
>

> Hi Fred,
>
> sorry for the slow reply.
>
> Re-reading your message now I'm not sure what exactly you're suggesting
> here. It sounds to me like getting the thumbails out of the wiki afterwards
> is a bigger hassle than taking the 15 seconds it takes to resize the
> original image and upload that one. Or am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks,
> Christoph
>

>>        --Fred
>>
>>> I see little value in keeping the 1200px wide version (with the exception
>>> of reducing one step in the image work) as we can't count on having the
>>> manpower to do extensive post-processing, resizing of all images, funky
>>> exporting, etc. once everyone leaves here in just over 48 hours...
>>>
>>> Christoph
>>>
>>> --
>>> Christoph Derndorfer
>>>
>>> volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
>>> editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
>>> contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]
>>>
>>> e-mail: christoph at derndorfer.eu

> --
> Christoph Derndorfer
>
> volunteer, OLPC (Austria) [www.olpc.at]
> editor, OLPC News [www.olpcnews.com]
> contributor, TechnikBasteln [www.technikbasteln.net]
>
> e-mail: christoph at derndorfer.eu

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266