[OLPC library] working hard @ Boston's OLPC HQ--join the live chat--TOC review begins ASAP

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 15:19:42 EDT 2012

> Image repository concept
>
> Given that the chapters or sections will be created on a Mediawiki
> wiki instasnce (wiki.l.o or wiki.sl.o) the simplest image repository
> is to just create an "image index" page on the wiki, upload the
> images, and manually add a link to them on the index page.

It would be useful but it's extra work and prone to error,. IMO it's
better to name the images consistently ("Activity Name - xyz_es"),
categorize the images, and use existing special pages to track them.
If you categorize images, then you get a free thumbnail gallery when
you view the category. See e.g.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Babel_activity

Unfortunately, you don't get the free thumbnail if you search for all
images starting with ActivityName, e.g.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:PrefixIndex/File:TurtleArt or
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:ListFiles There are undoubtedly
wiki extensions that do galleries and provide more features.

> The "image index" page could contain recommendations about image size
> / pixel counts, etc.  The index page could also theoretically serve as
> a screenshot wiishlist that is filled in by the "image team'.

Authors can just link to the image they wish they had and you can get
a report of wanted images from
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Special:WantedFiles

One apparent restriction is you can't seem to insert an image from
another wiki using the usual markup, see
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sandbox#Test_Interwiki_image_links , so
the screenshots need to be on the same wiki as the chapter. There may
be hacks or extensions to get around this.

w.l.o has lots of existing screenshots but many are really out of
date. The file info in Special:ListFiles, e.g.
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Special:ListFiles?limit=50&ilsearch=Browse&title=Special%3AListFiles
 .  It's probably best to just upload new versions over those names,
there's no point showing a 4-year old screenshot. When people upload
an image it would *really really* help if in the description they said
which software version they used.

> In this way, the uploaded images can be directly used in the wiki page
> chapters you are creating in the normal wiki fashion (after all,
> wiki's are designed with image content management and presentation in
> mind) and a manually maintained image index page gives you another
> useful way to focus on the image content (e.g. looking for
> multilang-versions or keeping track of the progress of a proposed
> "image team". )

Are there existing categories for English content and Spanish content?
Those could be applied to images, but perhaps it's probably better to
include an _es in the filename. On wiki.laptop.org you can query for
multiple categories, if you need special queries I can write them.

--
=S Page