[OLPC library] Fwd: Museum podcast & music library

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 16:04:19 EDT 2010

Here are a few notes from a recent exchange I had about sharing a
museum's regular musical recordings with XO users.

Is there a way to create a compact "series" page on activities.sl.o
thta lets one see a few dozen activities or collections in the same
series?  For something like a podcast of long recordings, each
{recording + notes + comments} might best be its own bundle, so that
users could delete individual recordings easily.

===
I was just using Musopen's music-introduction bundle, which is among
my favorite collections, and looking into getting it translated.

Notice how they embedded a little player with a link to audio clips:
http://dev.laptop.org/~sj/music-intro/

If the Museum could do the same, and keep the entire size of each
collection below 10-20MB, we could host and share any number of
collections -- each one a set of recordings and program notes and
images.   Then countries or teachers could store them on school
servers, and kids could download ones they wanted to take home and
browse or listen to.

For a little more information, see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Music

We distribute collections as a single zip file of a directory with an
index page and a bit of metadata; you could host the original and even
publish updates from time to time.

SJ