[OLPC library] Annotations, revisited

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Thu Jan 14 23:35:17 EST 2010

Walter Bender wrote:
> Samuel Klein wrote:
>> to have a global namespace for comments/annotations/reviews
>> allowing searching for such annotations made by other people
>
> That is not something we do yet. Is there a good exemplar to look at?

The web itself is the best example I know for comments and reviews, with email
following as a close second for comments. There seems to be no dominant
paradigm for annotations (aside from in the subdomain of lolcats and other
image macros.)

> I am not sure how to integrate the global namespace into the normal
> process if connectivity is not universal. We really need to be careful re how
> global network access is tied to Sugar activities as it breaks things for
> children in many places: Peru, Nepal, etc.  The "cloud" is not a practical
> reality yet in many (most) of our deployments.

The way to integrate a global namespace into the normal process in the absence
of superior connectivity is to separate each of naming, internetworking, and
link management so that they function more independently of one another.
For more information, please take a look at my (work in progress) notes:

   http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Network2

Regards,

Michael