[OLPC library] VERY PRE-DRAFT XO-1.5 / Sugar 0.84 Getting Started Guide!

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 02:01:00 EDT 2010

Sorry I'm late.

> http://teach.laptop.org/~holt/laptoporg-refresh/10.2.0/gettingstarted/index.shtml
This looks good, the screenshots are marvellous.

> ( instawiki tips, say hi! http://j.mp/laptopstartagenda )
I'm not sure what you mean by "instawiki tips" or what this j.mp short
link adds, but the http://openetherpad.com/rLJqVpmIz3 is very cool.  I
put a bunch of feedback in its chat sidebar, pasted below.

Are you still looking for direct bzr editors of the HTML?  I could
have a go, except  I only have an XO-1 running the os851 10.1.2
candidate.  Is that close to what 10.2.0 will be?

=S Page

- - - - my comments from http://openetherpad.com/rLJqVpmIz3 - - - -
August 14, 2010
In the "keyboard" page, I believe the grab keys already work to pan a
window. Press one and drag the mouse/on the touchpad, and most apps
pan around.

The "troubleshooting" page could usefully say something like "If the
laptop freezes or is slow to respond, Stop some activities to free
memory. You can restart the Sugar UI by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Erase. If
that doesn't work, turn off the laptop and power it back on.

"Troubleshooting" says "the hover menu on the Home View". a) only
available from Favorites view, b) it's not a hover menu if you
right-click. Need a standard phrase for this.

Homeview needs to explain Favorites "ring" vs. List view. You can only
get to the XO menu from the former, you can only search activities and
see their versions from the latter.

 Some of the stuff on "Home view" page is really description of the
Frame independent of home view.

 Home view should have callouts for the XO guy in the center (for the
Shutdown/My Settings menu) and the current activity underneath

 The Home view "Activity taskbar" explanation is wrong. Activities
appear at the top of the frame.