[OLPC library] updating the Sugar manual for 8.4 release

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 23:31:39 EDT 2009

Hi all -
I'm Anne Gentle and I've been working as a volunteer with FLOSS Manuals to
coordinate the Sugar and OLPC documentation over the last year and a half.

We have a pair of manuals for Sugar and the XO, written for the 8.2 release.
The manual content also loads in the Help Activity shipped with each Sugar
installation. For example, the Sugar Users Guide written at the Book Sprint
last August can be downloaded or purchased here:
http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback_book/sugar_users_guide/3865497.

With the new 8.4 release coming up in a very short time, I've read through
the users guide and the release notes at
http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Releases/Sucrose/0.84 and
come up with these areas of concentration for revisions.

I'd like for people to jump in on any chapter they can help with. Ideally we
can complete revisions and screenshot updates by March 13th to coordinate
with the software release itself. I'll keep an eye on the content on that
date and determine the best course of action, but I'd like to keep that as
our goal. Register for a login with FLOSS Manuals if you do not already have
one at
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Main/UserRegistration?origurl=/bin/view/Main/WebHome
.

Once these updates are completed, FLOSS Manuals will offer a printed book
for sale on Amazon (once we get the process ironed out) and Lulu. PDF and
HTML versions are always available for free.

The Frame - http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/TheFrame
Double-check all screenshots and descriptions to ensure they still match
current reality.

The Journal - http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/TheJournal
Double-check all screenshots and descriptions to ensure they still match
current reality.

Personalizing Sugar -
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/Personalising
This chapter is about the control panel. I believe the Control Panel screen
has changed (for example, it no longer says About your XO). Frame
Configuration may have changed. Software Update may have changed.

Launching Activities -
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/LaunchingActivities
Resuming from Journal may have changed. Journal inteface may have changed
requiring screenshot updates. Turtle Art's interface has changed and the
screenshot should be updated. Frame icons around "Stop" may have changed.

Installing Activities -
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/InstallingActivities
All of this chapter's screenshots should be updateed to show where you
download Activities now.

Activities Sampler -
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/FindingActivities
Turtle Art screenshot should be changed. Double-check all screenshots and
descriptions to ensure they still match current reality. Add InfoSlicer
Activity in the sampler set and take a screenshot. See if other Activities
have been added that belong in the sampler.

Turtle Art Demonstration - http://flossmanuals.net/write/WebHome/TurtleArt/
Double-check all screenshots and descriptions to ensure they still match
current reality.

Getting Connected -
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/ConnectingNetwork
The Frame screenshot after Step 4: Checking the connection should be
checked. I don't think the rest of the screenshots need to change but do
double-check.

Backing Up - http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/BackingUp
Double-check all screenshots and descriptions to ensure they still match
current reality.

Conserving Disk Space -
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/8_4/ConservingDiskspace
Double-check all screenshots and descriptions to ensure they still match
current reality.

Thanks all for taking the time to help out with this important release.
Anne
--
Anne Gentle
email: annegentle at justwriteclick.com