[OLPC library] [Grassroots-l] Pratham Books in Nepal

Rabi Karmacharya rabi at olenepal.org
Thu Jul 30 00:04:33 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 7:50 AM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Rabi Karmacharya<rabi at olenepal.org>
> wrote:
> > The books (and many more) can be accessed by children at the OLPC pilot
> > schools in Nepal through the e-library that OLE Nepal has created. The
> > e-library is hosted in school servers in each pilot school, and is
> updated
> > regularly. The e-library can also be accessed on the Internet at
> > www.pustakalaya.org (pustakalaya is library in Nepali). The e-library
> was
> > launched in February 2009, and OLE Nepal continues its efforts to expand
> the
> > content by contacting various organizations, publishers and writers to
> make
> > their works available to children all over the world.
>
> Rabi,
>
> That look great!
>
> What are you using for a content management system? I am interested in
> setting up library.sugalabs.org for testing and then creating some
> wiki pages so deployments can benefit from your work.
>
> david

David.

Our pustakalaya is built on Fedora Commons with Fez in the front end. It is
a relatively static library, and we do not have the facilities for teachers,
students, and users to upload their works in the library. Right now all the
uploading and management is done by the staff at OLE Nepal.

Our primary goal was to create a repository of education materials (books,
videos, maps, etc) that children can access easily at their schools. As you
may know, there is a dearth of such materials in many parts of Nepal, and
teachers and students have barely any reading materials outside of their
course books. We do plan to add rating and uploading facilities in future,
but right now, our focus is on adding more content to expand our
collections.

You can direct technical questions to our library system developer, Sulochan
(cc'ed above).

Cheers.
-Rabi