[OLPC library] Updating Sugar documentation for release 0.84

Christoph Derndorfer e0425826 at student.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Feb 16 21:32:17 EST 2009

Hi all,

as some of you might be aware a new Sugar release - 0.84 - is going to
be released at the beginning of March. So I thought it would a good time
to start discussing how to update Sugar documentation to consider the
changes and new features.

Off the top of my head I can think of the following places which contain
documentation that needs an overhaul:

* wiki.sugarlabs.org
* FlossManuals
* Help-Activity

(Probably the most widely asked question will be "How can I upgrade my
XO to Sugar 0.84?" so this might be worth also putting on the Sugar Labs
landing page and spread via the various developer blogs.)

I think a relatively short and remote (but well planned!) weekend-sprint
would go a long way in getting the necessary work done!

Before that can happen though we would need to decide how to fork the
existing documentation and make it *very clear* that going forward there
will be different versions of Sugar made available by OLPC and Sugar Labs.

I still have a very limited understanding of what exactly this entails
and how it's going to work out but as far as the FlossManuals and
Help-Activity documentation is concerned making clearly distinct
versions - one for OLPC's 8.2.x releases and another one for Sugar Labs'
0.8x releases - seems like a reasonable starting point for me.

Anyway, please let me know what you think and how we can make this
happen! :-)

Cheers,
Christoph

--