[OLPC library] [Grassroots-l] Pratham Books in Nepal

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Aug 13 04:22:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:02 AM, sulochan<sulochan at olenepal.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> > may know, there is a dearth of such materials in many parts of Nepal, and
>> > teachers and students have barely any reading materials outside of their
>> > course books. We do plan to add rating and uploading facilities in future,
>> > but right now, our focus is on adding more content to expand our
>> > collections.
>> >
>> > You can direct technical questions to our library system developer, Sulochan
>> > (cc'ed above).
>> >
>> > Cheers.
>> > -Rabi
>> >

>> Hello Sulochan. Nice to meet you!
>>
>> Last week DSD added some interesting thoughts to a discussion we were
>> having on updating activities.
>>
>> Currently, on a project level, we are using activities.sugarlabs.org
>> as a central repository for activities. I think we will also host
>> content there.  The software for a.sl.o will not scale down enough to
>> run on school.  I am wondering if you think that it would be valuable
>> for Sugar Labs to leverage your work and make system such as
>> pustakalaya available as a resource for all deployments.
>>
>> thanks
>> david
>
> Hi David,
> Yeah i think its a good idea to have one software pkg that all
> deployments can use for content delivery. Like Rabi mentioned,
> pustakalaya has facilitated easy access of many types of digital
> materials to our deployment schools.
> Currently we use Fedora Commons--an open source digital repository
> system, supports REST/SOAP, full text index search, easy administration,
> client support, and much more and is very scalable. It can hold any type
> of digital object.
> Here is a link to fedora commons--www.fedora-commons.org
> We use a modified FEZ --which is an open source front end for
> fedora-commons.
>
> Right now i have a very off hand way of installing it on the XS, the
> script works well for the XS, but some work will be needed to get it
> working for all types of systems.
> The second challenge, should something like this be used by other
> deployments is the way you would update content through network. Its not
> very difficult to do this but again there needs to be a way that works
> for all. Schools can easily add their own content but need to work on a
> model to allow schools to share, should they choose to do so with other
> schools, and if there is a central repository that updates all XS, a way
> to do that, and more :)
>
> Once these issues are resolved, something like pustakalaya will be a
> great addition to all deployments.
> I am also working on adding on lot of features, in some ways similar to
> a.sl.o ( user uploads,user rating, users comments, more linking
> features, bookmarking, user-user messaging and sharing etc. Some of
> which is already done and will show up on pustakalaya soon) but so far
> we have focused on content.
>
> If you are planing to start something like this for all deployments i

Thanks for the information.  It looks like this would be a very good
piece to make available to the wider community of sugar users.

In terms of triaging, I would like to focus on creating deployer
feedback channels.  From there we can see what we can do about making
your work more widely available.

david