[OLPC library] questions about PDFs

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Fri Sep 26 18:18:12 EDT 2008

A few notes on books:

please check out the latest wikibooks bundle in
[[Collections/G1G1/8.2]] -- unfortunately, those are still pdf's.
This should change for the next release, hopefully in time for 8.2.1.

Josh Gay has just updated the textbookrevolution.org site -- take a look!

HTML books : better tools are needed for neatly-formatted html export
from various raw formats.  Mediawiki, pdf, doc, and plaintext are four
of them.

epub and similar books : We also need a bookreader that can parse
modern epub formats.  "Read", having claimed the default verb, needs
to address this -- even if that means no longer simply being evince in
a candy coating.

Sayamindu is picking up maintainership of read, and as 8.2 heads out
the door I'm sure he'd appreciate these and other ideas and
suggestions :-)

SJ