[OLPC library] activities and bundles for G1G1, and more

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 13:59:06 EDT 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> Dear Sébastien,
>
> Two introductions :  Please meet Natalia Tsarkova, who runs
> i-concerts.com and is getting music videos from Africa (and  the music
> tracks behind some of them) for release as bundles for G1G1 this year.

Which countries, languages, cultures, musical styles?

>  She is interested in feeding part of the olpc portal on DM, and
> producing some new content every month for release over the coming
> year.

Здравствуйте, Наталя. Очень приятно. Вы говорите по-русскый?

Are you putting out CDs of this music? Is it available for paid
download? If so, what terms do you offer musicians? I have been
wanting a connection in the business to direct promising student
musicians to. I also know musicians in the US who want to get
involved.

> Meet also Michael Smolens, who runs dotsub, a multilingual video
> subtitling project.

Do you do Same-Language Subtitling, as in Bollywood musicals? It has
proven to be one of the most effective literacy methods known,
possibly the very best so far. We have been working on adding
karaoke-style text highlighting to our multilingual text-to-speech
engine for the same reason.

> Natalia and Michael, Sébastien is spearheading the olpc projects @
> Dailymotion (such as dailymotion.com/olpc).  The portal he has set up
> has a good framerate and encoding for the laptops, and he can help
> convert other media formats as well.
>
> All - we have a draft set of software, activities, and collections for
> this winter's OLPC giving program, which you can see here:
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activities/G1G1/8.2
>
> I would love to add more audio and video bundles to the lot.  10MB is
> a good size for a content bundle, as a rule of thumb.  I copy Joy and
> Siobhan and our public library list to keep everyone in the loop.
>
> Regards,
> SJ
> --
> 617 529 4266              skype:metasj
>
> ps - if any of you need XOs for your testing or work, or know
> developers that do, let me know.

Don't panic.--HHGTTG, Douglas Adams
fivethirtyeight.com, 3bluedudes.com Obama still ahead in EC!
http://www.obamapedia.org/ Join us!
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai For the children