[OLPC library] DEADLINE

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Fri Sep 5 11:56:16 EDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 5:20 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> 6 - Charging battery: Not sure you can or should connect you XO
> cable to
> a car battery. I would take that out. I think it needs to be
> plugged in
> the "the wall". That is to a 120AC power source or whatever is the
> power
> source standard in your country and for the XO's adapter.

We explicitly support powering the laptop directly off a car battery.
We do not, however, recommend that you connect the XO directly
to a car's electrical system.

If you get the wires (polarity) swapped, it will damage the laptop
(blow a fuse
soldered to the motherboard.)

> 7 - Charging battery: This sentence sounds a little optimistic: "Any
> charger whose jack fits into the XO's power port and outputs
> between 11
> and 18 volts should work." We should say 11 - 18 volts DC at a
> minimum.
> Probably need to say that the polarity of the plug has to be
> correct too.

We support this.  See above for warning.

wad