[OLPC library] continued updating of the docs on FLOSS Manuals

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 16:05:34 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,
Having had a nice 3-day weekend to recover from the high-energy week of the
BookSprint, I wanted to give you some ideas for maintenance of the manuals
going forward.

Daniel's review of the manuals was extremely helpful and I believe we've
incorporated all his suggestions. If you only have time to read and write up
notes, sending an email to the Library list is a good way of getting your
suggestions to the writers. Or, as Adam Hyde suggested, make the changes
yourself, but if you simply don't have time for that, an email listing your
review comments is perfectly acceptable.

Documentation in some organizations is an integral part of the development
process, and you can log and track bugs against the documentation. The OLPC
Trac system can do this to a point, but there is a lot of signal to noise
there for writers to keep up with. I'd personally prefer that you use the
FLOSS Manuals wiki system to either go ahead and make the changes yourself,
or comment on the chapter that you have suggestions for, or email your
comments to either me or this list.

As the maintainer, I'll be keeping an eye on all changes and all comments to
the manuals. We've already got a good comment from someone saying that since
the networking chapter addresses 8.2, how about creating another chapter for
the 6nn and 7nn deployments that are active today? With FLOSS Manuals remix
capability, this request seems do-able. I'd like to hear commentary on that
from this group though.

For additional concepts that you do not feel are covered in the manuals but
are not "bugs" technically with the manual, please post to this Library list
so that me or one of the other community writers can find a way to
incorporate it.

I believe my role going forward is a central person for doc requests, but I
do want to build redundancy in the system so I'm not the only resource
available for doc.

Thanks all for your contributions last week, and I look forward to continued
improvement as we go forward.

Anne