[OLPC library] OLPC update

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Thu Oct 23 07:06:25 EDT 2008

Aaron,

This is beautiful.  Could you add a license page and a credits page, both
linked from the startpage?  Include the photographer information for all
images used (this is something others can help with/proofread, as you
publish your progress).  I don't think that you need to change a thing about
the text or layout for a quick release.

For the future, simpler language suitable for early primary would be good:
short sentences, one paragraph per idea, short words where possible.  And
more icons/small images to denote major sections or themes would help both
localizers and low-literacy readers/teachers.

20M for the music is a good target.  A couple of entire pieces and snippets
of the rest (with a link to the complete version online) is one way to go.
However, you should first look into the gain you get from compression -
headphones will pick up the difference in quality, but the built-in XO
speakers may  not.  And with the structure in place, one can always create
both the abridged and the unabridged version.

SJ