[OLPC library] Core activities (was Re: An OLPC Development Model)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat May 10 06:46:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 8:55 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> ps. SJ, there are no 'core activities' that we ship.  There is only
> one security-privileged activity (Journal), which we currently ship in
> the core build because (a) Sugar breaks otherwise, and (b) Rainbow's
> activity-signing stuff is incomplete.  I hope we can fix both of these
> in time, and stabilize the APIs enough that we can eventually unbundle
> even Journal.  Your notion of 'core activity' is probably worthwhile
> for support and documentation reasons, but it bears no relation to the
> build process.

We need some concept of core software so that those of us working on
next-generation textbook ideas will know what capabilities we can
count on. I, for one, would like Measure to be in this core, along
with NumPy, SciPy, and perhaps some data visualization and analysis
tools. The proposed literacy engine (Text-to-speech with karaoke text
coloring) is another good candidate, and there are several more. I
suggest that we take this discussion to the Research list, and that we
put some thoughts on a Wiki page linked from Research.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/