[OLPC library] [Olpc-open] Nortel LearniT animations (Seth Woodworth)

Charbax charbax at charbax.com
Mon Mar 24 10:13:00 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 9:10 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now what would you need, Charbax, in order to recode the videos you
> have for the XO?

95% of the videos I post at http://olpc.tv are videos people posted at
Youtube and other flash video portals. I think it probably would be illegal
to grab the flash video files and encode them to some other format such as
Ogg Theora and republish them without asking each of the content providers
for permission.

The 5% of the videos in this category http://olpc.tv/channel/charbax/ that I
filmed myself, I can encode a version in Ogg Theora I think, though is there
a way to automatically stream Ogg Theora in full screen on the olpc laptop?

I hope gnash will work sometime soon, with some ways to playback Youtube and
all other flash video sites in full screen and smoothly. There is no other
way then to get the webs video standards to work if you want the kids to
access the current online video. It's great if OLPC can push for creating an
open free standard for online video using Ogg Theora or push some other
codec to become open free standard to use, create new video portals with ogg
theora encoded videos and all that. I just think that perhaps OLPC would be
a good way to put pressure on the established software patent holders, so
that they stop blocking Linux from having good, smooth, legal access to what
have become web standards for video codecs such as flash video and Mpeg4,
VOIP such as Skype, audio codecs such as Mp3, website design such as flash
animations. Proprietary formats that have become so popular on the web need
to be opened up by new laws and regulation or by popular pressure on those
companies that purposefully block interoperability on those certain
features.

--
Charbax,
Nicolas Charbonnier