[OLPC library] A proposal to give some DICTIONARY pre-installed on the XOs that will be delivered to Peruvian Kids

info at olpc-peru.info info at olpc-peru.info
Tue Mar 11 22:59:52 EDT 2008

Hello Dr. Kalyanaram

 >I had earlier given a free licence to use, and submitted my Indian
Lexicon (for 25 languages) for inclusion in OLPC.

When you say "Indian lexicon"... it means a "25 international languages
lexicon build in India" or "25 Indian languages" ??? (In Peru we have
Quechua (around 4 to 6 varieties), Aymara (I don't know if it is a
unique version, and the "Instituto de Verano" (NGO) described more than
40 other languages in the peruvian jungle).

 >A general consensus may have to be arrived at on the availability of
basic lexical/language resources at various levels, from primary to
secondary school levels.

Our goverment (peruvian goverment) says that this project is for primary
schools (6 to 12 years old aproximately).   I don't think that we must
ask the children to return his/her dear XO once he get 12 years old...
we, old grown adults, use many kinds of devices that are small:
cellullars & palmtops are very common and we check mail, and send short
messages... if we "open the window"... why we need to close it when the
kid reachs 12 years old? (that "window" reference is without any 2nd
implication! (smile) ).

 >Every prospective OLPC user is a child and will not be restricted to
children alone, particularly in, for example, the rural areas of India
with one billion population with a large percentage of illiteracy.

uhmmm... that was I thought when I realize there will be 250,000 XOs in
Peru in the next year (40,000 are here in this moment).  All of these
machines can CHANGE the whole world because they are the TOOLS to
communicate with the world.  One of the big problems that will arise in
2 or 3 years is when these machines will be used to develop VOIP (very
low bandwith needed).  Communication tools they are! then they will be
used as COMMUNICATION tools without any restriction.

Learning tool: in some areas of Peru more than 70% of the women are not
able to read, that's what official statistics show.  From my personal
experience I can say that it is not rare in the isolated towns and
villages that the women are not able to speak spanish (only the men),
and they have not personal identification document (no I.D.... they
don't exist for the occidental society.. but they pay taxes: every soft
drink, every beer (thats the kind of occidental culture that we carry to
those towns) has its government tax included (VAT)).

My conclusion: XOs are not for children only.  They will be
revolutionary tool for this generation.  It should be.

Regards,

Javier Rodriguez
Lima, Peru