[OLPC library] Documentation Update

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Fri Jul 25 19:32:35 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

I hope that everyone has joined the library list, from now on all
conversations should be out in public and on this list if at all possible.
I've been making some progress this last week on organizing things here at
OLPC and talking to several people individually.  But I apologize for not
emailing the list sooner to get the rest of us going.

--Intro to FM--
I've been poking at the FLOSS Manuals site the past couple weeks, and while
it seems very straight forward, several people have expressed interest in an
introduction webcast from someone from FM or anyone else who understands the
system well.  I will get this organized for sometime in mid-week if that day
works for most involved.  There are a few people here at the office at the
very least that would like a chance to get their questions answered about
the system.

--Action--
Our first action item is to move the old Getting-Started guide to FM for
overhaul.  There are many many current versions of GS and so far none of
them show off the new UI features upcoming in 8.2.0.  But Walter does have
some new UI versions of a few pages [1].  Screenshots for the new UI are
somewhat of a hairy issue, but I'll come to that.

Each of GS' chapter should be Chapters at FM.  Someone will need to create
these as we go (I'm working on this now).  I am able to add new chapters via
this link [2] but I might have elevated permissions, I'll need to double
check this.  Once these documents are in FM's system there is going to be a
lot of work to do to structure them.

--Flow and chapters--
A steering committee of volunteers, professional editors, staff members and
for goodness sakes someone who works with kids; is needed to figure out a
concise presentation of the Introductory information chapters.  Do we
introduce the interface first?  Do we introduce computers?  Does the journal
come before any given activity?

This group needs to create a rough draft of what the information we give is
going to look like.  A structured table of contents and skeleton to build
from.  To simply write this document willy-nilly like our wiki isn't going
to result in the kind of document we are looking for.

Let me know if you have a background that would lend itself to being a part
of this team and we'll start a conversation on the topic.

--Other notes--

* Reviewers
On his trip to SF Christoph was able to meet two volunteers that would like
to review our documentation for usability when we're done.  They are willing
to follow the instructions and see if they come upon any rough spots.

* Conventions-
The conventions/Style Guide document is available [3].  If you would like to
make changes to it, let's discuss them on the library list before you make
changes.

Thank you everyone for your patience so far, and I will be more diligent in
the future about making all emails public via the library list.

[1] http://sugarlabs.org/go/User:Walter/sandbox.
[2] http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/OLPC_simple/WebHome (must login)
[3] http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/OLPC_simple/WritingConventions