[OLPC library] Documenting Documentation: Outlining our initial steps

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Thu Jul 17 04:23:34 EDT 2008

The feeling and impression that I get from the community, is that we
should focus on creating a documentation community and process.  More
important than creating a single document, is creating a community and
culture that fosters documentation of the Sugar Learning Environment.
Let us set our goals and tasks as need to be satisfied, but let's keep
this in mind as our Purpose.

= 8.1.2 Documentation =

Walter's Getting Started can be packaged into the HulaHop / Help-2.xo
activity.  This tasks requires some simple web scraping, some
reorganization of html paths, and some fiddling with the python
program.

The steps for this process, progress status and results will be structured here:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Documentation_Projects#8.1.2

As I have been lax in responding to this list and organizing the
documentors involved.  I will take upon the task myself so it can be
finished by the end of the week.  Please see that page and my weekly
updates at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Sethwoodworth/Week29 for
status updates.

= 8.2.0 =

The information on 8.2.0 resides here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/8.2.0.  It is currently scheduled for some
time toward the end of August.  Our goal at one point was to create
documentation in time for this release.  Given the time constraints
involved, I don't know if we will have perfect or complete
documentation with enough lead time for that release.  Instead we
should focus on producing the best documentation that we can, and
creating the community, tools and processes for a true Documentation
team between Sugarlabs, OLPC and FLOSSManuals.

The first steps in this process include:

* Reviewing all current documentation for inclusion or exclusion
** Partial lists reside (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manuals) and
** (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Documentation_Projects)
* Importing worthwhile documentation
* Sourcing and discovering image resources
** wiki.laptop.org/go/Resources
** Photographer: Mike Lee

The page: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manuals is likely going to be the
home for the Open Task list and status of the project. I will spend
today importing information from various other pages on the wiki and
Factoring down the project down to individual tasks so we all may
participate.

Feel free to watch my progress and changes on that page, and provide
feedback as I do so.  I should have another update for the
Documentation Team by 2 PM EST.

Thank you all so much in offering to participate,
Seth Woodworth