[OLPC library] [OLPC-Games] [sugar] Physics -- Newtonian mechanics.. for kids!

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 14:17:52 EDT 2008

I very much agree with this! Simulations are still "just math" and "real science" is about the relationships we can build between our representations (which are in the end "just stories", even if coherent and logically connected) and "what's out there". This "outlook" (or the more fancy phrase "epistemological stance") is the most important part of learning science (and is the least well taught or learned -- at least in the US).

Bad simulations can be edifying if a real effort is made to see what the real world seems to do, but most people, and especially most children, are all too willing to substitute the story for the mapping.

Cheers,

Alan