[OLPC library] FM XO-Sugar-Activity doc architecture

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 23:25:23 EDT 2008

Hi all,
Adam Hyde of Floss Manuals and I have had some discussions about how
best to serve the hardware/software/os separation for the XO and Sugar
on Floss Manuals. Here's what I'm proposing after our discussions.
Please, give me your feedback. I plan to post this description to the
wiki.sugarlabs.or/go/DocumentationTeam page for review by the greater
community beyond this email list, also. I plan to build out the
scaffolding for this architecture once we've tested it out pretty
well. I think it holds up except for difficulty with key shortcuts on
different hardware, and differing deployment scenarios.

There is now a set of guidelines linked from each of the starter
manuals. (yes, this URL may change based on the naming suggested
below) http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/OLPC_TurtleArt/WritingConventions.
I have not yet written graphic guidelines as FM doesn't support SVG
yet.

_Content for Sugar_
Use Walter's content that David brought in to
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Testing/TestChapter (thanks
David!)

Outline:

Connecting to the network
Installing and configuring
Personalizing Sugar
Updating the version
Installing New Activities

Interface
Neighborhood View
Group View
Home View
Activity View
Joining Activities
Switching Activities
Exiting Activities

Tutorials
Activities
Chat
Adding a buddy
Browse
Write
Record - sound and pictures
Draw
eToys
Turtle Art
Pippy
Memorize
Calculate
Tam Tam Jam
Measure
Terminal
Acoustic Tape Measure
Reading
Credits
FM Inclusions:
All Activities content (until it gets too big, but that is a scenario
we'll be happy to have)

_Content for 18 Activities_
URL examples:flossmanuals.net/Record_Activity,
flossmanuals.net/TurtleArt_Activity
Outline:
Getting Started
Tutorial
Reference
Inclusions: none

_Content for the XO_
Outline:

Introduction:
Getting started with the XO
About computers
Opening the XO
Starting the XO
Keyboard Shortcuts
Conserving Disk Space
Maintenance:
Backing Up
Caring for Your XO
Charging the Battery
Replacing the Battery
Screen
Safety
Getting Support
Avoiding Loss of Your XO
Hardware Specifications
FM Inclusions: All Sugar content, including Activities