[OLPC library] Preferred font size for ebooks on the XO?

Diane Serley olpc.aunti.mame at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 18:22:46 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 5:53 PM, Tom Mitchell <mitch at niftyegg.com> wrote:

> Do pick a very legible font and font size.   Eye glasses are not a
> given in much of the world, so the wonderful high resolution of the XO
> should not push the font to the small side.

I am very near sighted and usually read without my glasses on, so text has
to be 11pt or better for me to read comfortably. At the moment I'm just
using my own comfort level as the test. I've been able to read several
novels on the XO without noticable eye-strain.

But I'm kinda stymied by the XOs screen resolution. In converting a doc
(openoffice or MS word) to PDF the screen resolution is 96dpi or 72 dpi. So
if I format a page specifically for the XO's screen size in inches, it then
gets shrunk down due to the high resolution. But then Read magnifies the PDF
to fit the screen.

Has anyone tried to design PDFs specifically for the XO? If anyone out there
has, I'd love to talk to you about your results.

Diane