[OLPC library] Preferred font size for ebooks on the XO?

Diane Serley olpc.aunti.mame at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 17:04:41 EDT 2008

This works well for a tech document or a picturebook, but not so well for a
novel.  If its HTML there is no pagination... you can only break by
chapters. But there are no other markers that let you, for example, stop at
page 127 and pick it up again there tomorrow. Instead, you have to stop in
Chapter 8 and then tomorrow search through Chapter 8 to get to the place you
stopped at -- do-able, but vaguely inconvenient.

Here's an example: I just formatted the novel Jane Eyre. Formatting for the
XO the book ends up being 443 pages long or 38 chapters. I personally
wouldn't want to read that as 38 HTML pages. They would be waaaay to long
and finding where I might have stopped previously would be a pain. And I
especially wouldn't want to have 443 HTML pages!

I guess I'm hung up on the "book" portion of "e-book" and expecting e-books
to behave like books with pagination. Am I just being old-fashioned?

Diane