[OLPC library] [IAEP] Lesson plans needed (was Re: Release 8.2.0 -- pls add critical features (Greg Smith))

Kim Rose kim.rose at vpri.org
Mon Jul 7 13:09:05 EDT 2008

Hello, Ed & others -

A complete PDF of the "Powerful Ideas in the Classroom" book can be
downloaded here:
http://www.squeakland.org/tmp/PowerfulIdeas-20041018.zip

Note if you print it out, it is set up for double-sided copying so
you'll print out some blank pages to force the correct pagination.

This contains the "sequence for 5th graders" that Alan refers to in
his email.

This book came out of several years of the process Alan describes --
iteration and reiteration between BJ Conn, the classroom teacher,
myself, Alan and others on our team and feedback from students via
observation of their use and discussion and debriefing with students
during classroom sessions and at close of semester or every few
months.  Projects and the timing of when to go on to the next, was
modified as we worked with the kids and learned more about their
learning curve(s), how some concepts took longer and required more
time, others less, etc., etc.  As Alan mentioned, it was after 3
years of in-class testing and many many hours of out of class
meetings that BJ and I wrote up the projects -- note both on computer
and off computer activities -- that became this book.

  -- Kim