[OLPC library] Math curriculum for the XO

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Wed Jan 30 22:04:24 EST 2008

Edward Cherlin wrote:
> One of the major lessons of the New Math disaster.

Be careful what you say about the "New Math disaster". Some of the
perpetrators are still alive. :)

> I'm for RPN. What are you looking for?

Xcalc does either algebraic or RPN. I always do RPN when I load it. It
may already be on the XO -- I haven't checked.

> The most important topic in math education is whether we will teach
> what mathematicians do: explore and discover. And what mathematics is:
> not just calculation, but the rigorous exploration of patterns of any
> kind.

Amen to that! I'm not *really* a mathematician in the classical sense.
I'm more of a mixed programmer/software engineer/computer
scientist/applied mathematician. But explore and discover is what I do
(when they let me). :)