[OLPC library] Curriculum for developing world OLPC - 3D Maya -> Scratch -> 3DOrbiter - Application based learning

katie katie at belisle.org
Wed Jan 30 10:56:34 EST 2008

Greetings,

I have created a wiki template Mathematics that simply adds the
Mathematics category to a page. This can be expanded in the future.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Category:Mathematics

Meanwhile, I will attempt to add the salient points of this thread to
the talk page.

I am a professional mathematician and a long time school volunteer with
enrichment maths (my daughter tells her friends that her Mamma is a
Mathemagician!).  Children learn to fear the subject of Mathematics at
about Middle School, and if they don't learn to love Mathematics during
elementary school, we've lost them.

When I became involved with OLPC as a volunteer my primary goal was to
bring some of the best maths software to the XO, either as a complete
Sugar port, Browse activity access or other thin client, and help young
children understand the beauty and importance of Mathematics, which is
the fundamental language of the universe.

Right now I am helping Adam and Kim with the G1G1 support queue, but I
want to capture these ideas for near-future development. These are
fantastic ideas.

-Kate