[OLPC library] FW: OLPC+Polywell Fusion power+EMS/SCADA = Off gridpower for rural areas = Better healthcare

Karen T. Smith kayti99 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 29 22:56:58 EST 2008

Nice idea, Ivan. I'm new to the list, but I'm enjoying the discussion about
children and nuclear power education. I'm also watching the OLPC Health
list/discussion and finding as much "we can change the world" thinking
there. What a fantastic group.

By way of quick introduction, I'm a learning designer by trade, on hiatus
while my kids are little but they're getting bigger. We spent bedtime
reading time tonight playing TamTamMini on their XOs.

I wanted to contribute one convergent thought aimed at anyone developing
basic literacy and numeracy learning modules (which I hope to do as well.)
Perhaps this has been discussed ad nauseum. If so, I apologize, I'm new to
the program and geeky-excited about it, so forgive me some newbie
enthusiasm.

The convergence idea is this: With learning modules aimed at basic literacy
- use health, nutrition, and sanitation content. For instance, in early
reading exercises, use sentences such as "We wash our hands before we eat."
"We eat fruits, vegetables, and grains." "Josiah eats a carrot." I'm not a
K-12 educator so I don't know the exact right sentence length, word
difficulty, etc. - but my point is, when creating learning events, use
real-world content instead of only "Bill (or Ahmed) saw the ball."

I'm starting to think about ways we can use existing activities to achieve
basic math and reading learning objectives. I'm using US - Illinois, the
state where I live - standards, which I know isn't broad enough but it's a
place for me to start. I would welcome programming partners, I design but
suck at building, and also K-6 educator partners (although I have some
resources locally that I can tap.)

Feel free to contact me off-list at kayti99 at gmail dot com.

Thanks!
Karen Smith
St. Charles, IL