[OLPC library] Scratch cartoons for physics and health education - New universal language?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Jan 29 18:01:49 EST 2008

On Jan 29, 2008, at 23:38 , Brown, Henry, DoIT wrote:
> The kids of today are open to manipulating objects on the web
> (Runescape, etc).
> So lets give them an interactive learning env.

Yes!

> Lets make learning cartoons for kids.
> OLPC could run Scratch, Alice, etc.

Scratch yes (the port is underway), Alice no (no 3D acceleration in
this hardware generation).

> We just need armies of adults to build the cartoons. Kids will
> clone the good ones.

Indeed. If you haven't done so, please look at the Etoys projects
that ship on the XO. And it would be awesome of someone would start
making more Etoys projects available tuned for OLPC - like Randy
Caton's projects ranging from gravity to biomechanics:

http://connect.larc.nasa.gov/squeak.html

Maybe we should even enable the Squeak plugin on the XO ...

- Bert -