[OLPC library] 'OLPC-Health' takes off !!- MATLAB for OLPC?

Mel Chua metamel at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 12:39:01 EST 2008

Matlab is also a very big, fairly resource-intensive program. Henry
(and others), what functionality does Matlab provide that you like? As
Simon pointed out, there are other tools that can get the job done
(mmm, gnuplot + octave) and maybe what we need to do is make a
port/better-ui/tutorials for such.

In terms of straight-up calculation and matrix math, it's also very
possible to use Python and a couple libraries - I've used Python in
lieu of matlab in my engineering courses.

One of its benefits is the strong selection of plugins for various
disciplines/research fields, including plenty of things for
interfacing with hardware - some of those plugins are open source;
they are written in matlab code, but could be ported.

-Mel