[OLPC library] Dengue Fever project idea

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:35:50 EST 2008

I heard Dengue Fever on Fresh Air with Terry Gross yesterday. A substantial
number of people whom I am working with would like to help DF in their quest
to revive the pre-Khmer Rouge musical culture of Cambodia, and create a new
generation of accomplished and vital musicians in Cambodia.

I volunteer with One Laptop Per Child (http://laptop.org), which has just
started development of a Khmer-language version of its XO laptop software
for distribution in Cambodia. (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Khmer) The software
includes a suite of music software that supports children choosing
instruments on their laptops and playing together over the wireless network
that joins them. (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Activties) Donors in the Give
One Get One program (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/G1G1) have purchased more
than 10,000 computers for Cambodian schoolchildren.

Also, I am Founder and CEO of Earth Treasury, which seeks to connect schools
around the world and to teach the students how to create sustainable
international businesses together. Music is one of our target market
segments, where we intend not only to create global collaborations,
distribution, touring opportunities, and the like, but to teach
up-and-coming musicians how to thrive without falling into the clutches of
rapacious media companies. I am delighted to see that M80 Gets It, and is
allowing free downloads of some of DFs music.

I would like to invite you to join with OLPC, Earth Treasury, several other
NGOs, and a number of musicians in various countries to make more of this
happen sooner. Please pass this on to the band. I will be happy to answer
any questions you or they have.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/