[OLPC library] [SLED] Re: Ethnic Cultures and Virtual learning

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 16:23:53 EST 2008

On Feb 6, 2008 12:14 PM, Kip Roffo <kip at wwmr.org> wrote:
> Hi Barbara,
>
> I did much of my doctoral work on accommodating cultural diversity in
> distance learning. You may find some useful materials here, including my
> dissertation on transcending cultural differences in international
> classrooms (online and onground): http://wwmr.us

We have a number of language and culture initiatives brewing at One
Laptop Per Child, and could use your advice. If you are interested,
see

http://laptop.org
http://wiki.laptop.org pages on Languages, Countries, and he like
http://lists.laptop.org
http://dev.laptop.org/translate

for background.

We are thinking about how to create an area in SL for our users, but
the client will not run on an XO laptop. (466 MHz processor, no
graphics acceleration). We would need a 2D or wireframe client, or
some other adaptation.

> I also have an island with cross-cultural learning resources for
> international students:
> http://slurl.com/secondlife/Educare/111/52/26/?title=Educare

I'll invite our people to check it out. Message copied.

> Hope this helps some with your research.
>
> Best success,
> Steve (Kip Roffo)
> -----
> Steven R. Van Hook, PhD
> University of California, Santa Barbara
> ELS Language & Culture Program
> srvanhook at wwmr.us
>
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 2
> > Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 16:32:44 -0600
> > From: "Barbara Z. Johnson" <bjohnson at d.umn.edu>
> >
> > Does anyone know of articles regarding the impact of ethnic cultures on
> > the use of virtual worlds and/or video games?  Particularly, I'm
> > interested in learning in educational settings, but I'm also open to
> > informal learning.  I find quite a lot on gender, urban, youth, popular
> > culture but very little on ethnicity.

Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/