[OLPC library] [Re] 'OLPC-Health' takes off !!

Andreas Tille tillea at rki.de
Wed Feb 6 03:24:51 EST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, Seth Woodworth wrote:

> I would love to see how our two groups can move forward together.

:-)))

> Content:
>
> *A repackaging of the 'Where there are no Doctors' and other works
> from the Hesperian foundation into HTML from the original source
> documents
>
> *A collection of Wiki-sliced articles from Wikipedia
>
> *A collection of images(copyleft) to help diagnose and instruct
>
> *An updated version of the Human Physiology wikibook with audio

Great.  I never heard of these documents and our med-doc section
is need definitely an update.  If you have some links for download
we are really interested.

> Software:
> *We're researching what would be the best medical records software
> for the XO. OpenMRS, OpenEHR, or VistA

I never made it to dive more deeply into the former two.  I spend some
time on VistA which might be the most advanced software in this field.
THe problem of VistA is that it is quite huge and the requirement of
MUMPS (I never heard of this except in connection with VistA and nobody
else seems to know it) makes it kind of hard to tackle because we are
lacking some basic knowledge that will probably be required.

On the other hand VistA consist of several more or less independant
modules (if I'm not missleaded) and we could try to start with some
parts that might be on one hand more interesting for smaller laptop
clients and are perhaps easier to package.

BTW, did you know about GNUmed?  At least the client is packaged
for Debian and this seems to me a perfect thing for XO laptops.

> We are still in our foundation stages, so we would welcome the input and
> collaboration of the Debian health community.  I'm working on documentation
> and recruiting volunteers, but Arjun is the point of contact for organizing
> our group.

You are very welcome to join our list.  The status is currently that
we have a lot of applications in preclinical microbiological research and
medical imaging which do not seem perfect targets for XO because of
the power they might need and they are not very probably for "outdor
use".  But we are gaining more and more momentum also to things that
might perfectly interesting for you.

> Thank you for your interest in our project.

Sure we are interested in anything that is connected to free medical
software.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--