[OLPC library] OLPC Tricoder for field doctors

Mel Chua metamel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 11:53:11 EST 2008

 (Arjun et. al, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

> I think this is exactly the reason why the OLPC Health group needs to make
> the organization of an advisory board top priority. It is a necessary
> filter.

Keeping in mind that the [[Health]] project is, like other OLPC
interest groups, still a grassroots effort, and won't mandate who can
try what things, access what information, mandate the structure of the
Health group itself ("advisory board" members don't have official
titles and so on...) - ultimately, people have to become their own
filters as well, and trust their own judgment, though we should
certainly do our best to provide them with resources (and pointers to
such) with which to develop that judgment.

> Before embarking on the health tech route, it's needless to say that
> you'll need some legal counsel.

Or at least knowledge of the risks you're assuming, and copious usage
of "this worked for me, but is not tested/certified by any agency, do
this at your own risk"-style disclaimers. You don't need to ask
permission before starting to work on health tech in your classroom or
garage (unless your professor/husband/etc would like you to, of
course) or sharing the results of your experiments with others, but be
aware of how you present the work you're doing - we're all individuals
working - unofficially (legally speaking) - towards a common cause.

Arjun and I wrote some drafts of a general disclaimer last night, so
we'll see what happens with those.

-Mel