[OLPC library] Networking sections for consideration

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Wed Aug 27 16:37:44 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 13:11 -0400, Brian Jordan wrote:
> SUGAR:
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/WhatIsANetwork

Active antennas don't work. Mesh Point functionality doesn't work. You
probably don't want these in the documentation.
Access points are not built into the school server.
The wording suggests that a school server is the only way to establish
"network connectivity"

> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Sugar/ConnectingNetwork

Simple mesh does not get you connected to the internet
School server mesh doesn't work (we don't ship active antennas anywhere)
Wired network connections are not established from network view
The mesh icons are not MPPs, they are not channels. You see 3 mesh
channels regardless of how many MPPs or mesh nodes there are in the
area.
Saying a network is "locked" is not really familiar terminology to
anyone.. You would say it has security.

APs in network view no longer turn white. You have to look in the frame.

Screenshots that show the frame are out of date. e.g. the AP circle now
appears bottom right, not left.

Talks about "Hex Converter" but doesn't say what that is. Also I feel
you want a lot more description about keys and encryption schemes if you
want to cut down on G1G1 wireless support tickets.

When connected to an AP with no school server, you can collaborate
without jabber. It uses multicast over salut. It is rare that you would
be collaborating using jabber unless you are on a network backed by a
school server, since you probably don't have a jabber server available
and will not have input the address on the XOs.

> XO -- Anne Gentle (annegentle at gmail.com) wrote these:
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/XO/GiveMeTheInternet

Jabber server is unrelated to internet connectivity.
Internet access does not work over the mesh.

The XO cannot recognize network names that contain spaces, --> not true!
"media lab 802.11" works fine

When you connect the XO to a wireless network, the XO becomes a network
point. This means that other XO laptops within about 100 meters can
connect to the Internet through your XO laptop. --> not true

Similarly, if a nearby XO is connected to the Internet, you can connect
to that XO laptop and the Internet through the other XO when using the
mesh network. --> not true

> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/XO/Troubleshooting

Is your WiFi router configured to support 802.11g? --> doesn't make
sense to me. Is this saying we don't support 802.11b?

Are the access point settings not in channels 1, 6, or 11? --> I don't
think theres any point documenting old bugs.

The XO section also repeatedly mentioned the white rim, but remember
this only appears in the frame.

> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/XO/ExternalHardware
> http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/XO/RouterTable

I don't like pointing people at that table. It's so incomplete, includes
so few failure cases, lacks many details, etc.