[OLPC library] Book sprint - AT update - Monday

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:47:42 EDT 2008

Hi Christoph et al,

I may not make these meetings either but I'll try to keep up in e-mail.

On the 8.2 release notes: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Notes/8.2.0

I think you can make some good progress documenting the new sugar
control panel. However, there is very little good information on exactly
what those things do. You should probably take them one at a time.

This link has some info:
http://sugarlabs.org/go/ReleaseTeam/Releases/Sucrose/0.82

The timezone one should be pretty self explanatory. That said there is
one odd thing that needs to be explained. The name of the panel is date
and time, it only allows changing time zones right now.

We should explain the difference between "about my XO" and "About Me".
Hopefully you can get some sense of that by clicking on them. If you
need more input, please ask.

Frame is hopefully clear by clicking on it.

Power needs a lot of explanation. See the longer battery life section in
the release notes. See also this URL:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Tests/Suspend_Resume Chris Ball is the main
guy to explain power. Its changing some and we also need to explain when
and why the screen goes black sometimes vs. when it dims.

Software updater is a big one but I don't have any good links to its
documentation right now. Scott is the author of the code and I think
that Eben and Michael S know some about how it works too.

Network is important but not well documented. It is related but
different from the Register item in the popup menu on the XO guy on the
home screen. They should both be well documented for users with a school
server and without. You may get the best input on those from the server
list.

I suggest you go right to engineering on the devel list if you can.
Otherwise let me know what open questions you have and I'll try to
connect you.

Thanks a lot for your time and effort!

Greg S