[OLPC library] goal setting and scope for BookSprint

Seth Woodworth seth at laptop.org
Fri Aug 22 00:28:44 EDT 2008

> > A lot of effort already went into a hardware troubleshooting manual,
> > and it is already translated into Spanish and being field tested.
> > See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Troubleshooting_Guide
> > Please don't duplicate, move, or fork this effort.

The hardware troubleshooting guide is completely your project and I would
*not* fork that project without a clear understanding with all parties
involved.  The guide does need some work for readability and flow, but the
actual information is present.  It just needs some serious polishing and
formatting work.

> We're aware of the dissasmbly, repair, and troubleshooting sections
> you mention and intend to leverage them fully. For some of the
> information, the goal is to use the FLOSS Manuals API to embed it back
> into wiki.laptop.org. It's good to know that some people at laptop.org
> are not aware of this intention.

I'm doing my best to spread the word, but there is a *lot* of email that
goes around here.  How exactly the content is going to be distributed back
may not involve our wiki at all.  I see little problem with linking them to
static and polished html somewhere other than the wiki.

> As Adam said, FLOSS Manuals has been selected for all docs, especially
> docs that can be shipped with the OS.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.  Adam Hyde is an outside party to OLPC,
Adam Holt runs support at OLPC, and Wad is the VP of Hardware Development
(correct title wad?).  If Wad has other plans for troubleshooting docs for
repair that's outside of the sphere of this project.

> > Repair instructions are included as part of the Troubleshooting guide
> > (which references the Disassembly Guide).

That would be excellent content for Repair centers and other users, either
printed or available in several forms (exactly where FM shines).  But that
isn't needed to ship at the moment, and isn't exactly relevant to the
SugarLabs volunteers for this event.  I feel this can be skipped for now.

All the best,
Seth