[OLPC library] Get involved - Measure Activity on the XO

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 00:48:27 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:00 PM, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org> wrote:
> Edward Cherlin wrote:
> >
> > Use the stereo input channels as sources for XY plots and for
> > two-channel input, either in half-screen windows or on the same axes.
> > The two data sources can be plotted in different colors.
> >

>  The built in input is mic not line in.  So its only a mono input.  :( For 2
> channels you will need some sort of usb device.

I know that the external microphone has to be mono, but I assumed that
the sound port was stereo. Let's see...Nope.
#  Microphone input: standard 3.5mm 2-pin switched mono microphone
jack; selectable 2V DC bias; selectable sensor-input mode (DC or AC
coupled);

Stereo output, mono input. Arghhh. So much value lost to save one wire
and part of a chip, and make the XO incompatible with itself. How many
pennies does that save? %-[ Oh, well, put two-channel input on the
list for next year, then.

Wait! Can we share Measure data between laptops and combine the streams?

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/