[OLPC library] Curly Logo / OLPC

David Jones drj at pobox.com
Thu Nov 29 05:55:58 EST 2007

On 28 Nov 2007, at 21:01, Samuel Härgestam wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This might be a good time to inform/remind potentially interested
> parties about the Logo tutorial I wrote for OLPC about a year ago
> (http://www.israelsson.org/~lethe/logobook/0.5.2/ ). At that time,
> I thought the version of Logo to be shipped with OLPC would be
> Arnan (Roger) Sipitakiat's version, but that doesn't seem very
> likely anymore. In any case, I'd prefer to use a javascript
> interpreter, as it could be integrated directly into the tutorial.
> I was getting worried I would have to write one myself, but David's
> seems to fit the bill perfectly.
>
> David, do you have a spec for the dialect of Logo you're using, so
> that we could sync?

No, not yet, but I am keen to develop a spec.  I'm also keen to
develop a tutorial, but as you've already done that, it wouldn't make
sense for me to duplicate your work.

> Would you (or anyone else) be interested in trying to integrate the
> tutorial more tightly with the interpreter, to make the learning
> curve for these kids as smooth as possible? If so, please send me
> an email.

Oh yes, this is just the sort of thing I had in mind, a mode where
the narrative provided by the tutorial was blended with the student's
self-created narrative.  The "labs" in J, http://www.jsoftware.com/ ,
do something like what I have in mind.

drj