[OLPC library] XO end-user doc status update

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:16:55 EST 2007

Hi all,
I'd like to continue a weekly status update - but I'm at least a week behind
with the US Thanksgiving holiday. Still, here's a list of what I see in one
corner of documentation-land currently.

First of all, welcome, Ed - so glad to have you on board. I'll try to
respond to some details in your email messages here.

Work on the Simplified User Guide at
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Simplified_user_guide
Still moving towards more images for the user guide. However, the wiki has
been intolerably slow this week (any one else noticing that?) and I've not
been able to do any updates in three or four separate attempts.

Uploaded images from
http://www.flickr.com/photos/crimsonninjagirl/sets/72157600039184160/
to the wiki - I believe the CC license is correctly maintained by doing
this. I have an email via flickr to crimsonninjagirl but have not yet heard
back from her to ensure that I'm using the photos correctly. Sj, can you
confirm that it's okay to post her pics to the wiki.laptop.org site? I
haven't yet referred to any of them in a wiki page.

I added (clumsily, but I'm learning) links to existing translations of the
v3 of the user guide (v3 occurred in the October 23rd-ish 2007 timeframe).

Tom Hannen from the BBC news services has added some nice animated gifs for
things like opening the XO and changing the battery pack.

For more background on the doc's history than you can shake a stick at
(idiom alert!), see
http://justwriteclick.com/2007/11/23/happy-turkey-day-but-lets-talk-wiki-not-turkey/
.

Tonight I'll do more synchronization between the wiki and the Author-it
instance. The  Author-it instance could yield a nice PDF file that could be
printed via Lulu. It's about fifty pages in all with a small square page
layout.

I'm still seeking a page layout person with Word expertise to get a nice
square manual that Lulu.com could easily print.

I have a request for Artwork on the Art Wanted wiki page at http:*wiki *.*
laptop*.org/go/ Art_Wanted. I may also add the Word layout request to the
Art Wanted page.

I've added information about safety and the XO including some answers about
computer virus protection as well as ensuring the Internet access for
children is filtered access. I've been able to gather a lot of good
information by monitoring the FAQ page and adding to the doc from there.

If anyone's curious, the developer program where you can request a laptop is
found at http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developers_program#How_to_apply_for_an_XO
. I've been able to emulate the XO on my Windows-based computer, so I don't
physically need one for the documentation so far.

However, without physically seeing one, where can I get measurements to the
case itself to ask my quilter mom to make a laptop bag or sleeve for the XO
that I'll order?

I've been reading the report Carla Monroy* *wrote from Mumbai with great
interest because it's such a great usability immersion study. I'm also
interested in the discussion here about teacher materials for the XO - where
can I read what has been developed so far? (If you've already posted links,
I apologize for misplacing them.)

SJ and Michael Priestly met last week (I was unfortunately unable to attend)
to talk about DITA and wiki slices - basically taking a specialized DITA map
and keeping up with changes to an existing wikislice. Pretty darn cool if
you ask me. I hope to help with testing a solution that Michael comes up
with based on SJ's spec ideas.

Regards,
Anne Gentle