Wikipedia

Ed Montgomery edm at rocketmail.com
Thu Nov 1 07:11:37 EDT 2007

Hi! :-)  New lurker here...

As a newbie, I don't know if this has been discussed
before, but I'd like to throw out this suggestion just
in case it hasn't.

There is a project which has produced a very nice
version of wikipedia for students, schools, etc.  I
think it is an excellent choice for educational
projects such as the OLPC, and should be used before
students 'graduate' to the 'adult' full online version
of wikipedia and all that that entails. It can be
downloaded and used on any computer (which can handle
at least 725 MB of data for the 'lite' version! :-))

I'd recommend that this be placed on the server
versions of the OLPC computers for use in the
schools,communities, etc.  And if there are some
really keen translators out there, this would be an
excellent starting point for them to produce content
(i.e. a free, localized online student encyclopedia!
:-)) in the local language, etc.

Take a look at:
http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?id=1548