Library interfaces and tools

Samuel Klein sj at laptop.org
Wed Mar 14 19:56:32 EDT 2007

Over the winter there was a discussion about tools to coordinate metadata
across libraries.  We have a simple version of this problem when a number
of people using their Journals try to communicate -- they need a simple
way to coordinate references to a piece of content (that might have
changing annotations and tags, and might itself change).  They also need a
simple way to search for what they want -- both directly in their visible
network, and through the equivalent of interlibrary loans, across large
distances (and spotty net connections). Some related questions?

What library interfaces do we want to support, and what metadata will
matter to local creators and producers?

What will the results of searching for materials mean?  What happens when
you search for something on your school network, and it disappears before
you can look at a copy?

How will people tag and classify materials; and how will groups of
curators identify collections of materials?

SJ