simple book on laptop

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Jan 23 22:35:41 EST 2007

On a memory limited system, loading all images into the system is
guaranteed to lose, the only question is when.  We really don't want to
page, and you can trivially fill memory.  Memory is a precious resource.

At most prefetching a page on either direction of the current page for
fast response is in order.

In any case, testing on 239 is in order; there were bugs in the xrandr
(rotation) implementation that went.

On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 18:23 -0800, Dan Aronson wrote:
> Mitch Bradley wrote:
> > I tried it on both B1 and preB2.  It works on B1, but on pre-B2, the
> > page (olpc/olpc_book.html) spent several minutes trying to load, then
> > X crashed and restarted (this happened 3 times).  The B1 is running OS
> > build 231, while the pre-B2 has OS 236, so I'm not sure whether it is
> > the hardware or the software that is causing the difference.
> Its pretty generic javascript.  I'm happy to take a look at any logging
> stuff and see if I can figure out what's going on.  It does load all the
> images into memory.  Could you do a top and see what's happening to the
> memory.  If that is the problem then maybe there needs to be some memory
> limit set on the apps.
>
> --dan
> >

> > Jim Gettys wrote:
> >> Cool!
> >>
> >> Please add a bug to trac about rotating the direction keys; we didn't
> >> have time to worry about that, but it really needs to get done.
> >>                                   Thanks,
> >>                                        - Jim

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child