[OLPC library] end-user doc update, 12/14/07

adam hyde adam at flossmanuals.net
Tue Dec 18 04:23:35 EST 2007

hi,

> Yes, I would very much like to speak with you at length about your
> workflow and ongoing projects.  FLOSS Manuals looks like a very neat
> project.  Perhaps we could work out a skype or messenger conversation.

Sounds like a good idea. My Skype name is: 'esetqualia'

>         >
>         > Seth - from Adam I learned that the formatting of the print
>         versions
>         > out of the Floss Manuals wiki uses Scribus -
>         http://www.scribus.net/.
>         > We should explore ways to leverage your layout work with the
>         FM work.
>

> Hrrm.  I am not familiar with Scribus nearly as much as I would like.
> I don't know how much of my work in indesign can be ported over to
> this new system, other than using my layouts as guidelines.
>
> But if Scribus will allow us to flow new versions and translations
> into something press-ready, I'm all for it.  As happy as I am
> personally with non-free InDesign, it would be best not to use it for
> such a FOSS program.

Perhaps we can talk about tools and workflow during a skype session. I
personally think people should transit to floss tools only if the pain
threshold isn't too high.

Having said that, Scribus has done us well. it has a nice internal
scripter which means you can write python 'plugins' pretty easily. We
download a manual, import it into scribus via the script Luka Frelih
wrote and tweak the image placement etc. The results are quite nice. At
the moment the script is going through another development phase which
should make the process even faster.

> Depending on SJ's input here, we're looking at a fairly short time
> frame that this should be ready by.  As much as I would prefer to have
> a process / workflow in place before we produce any output, that may
> not be possible, and we may need to get something Out before we have
> polished methods of replication.

Sounds reasonable. Shall we talk via skype? How are you placed this
week?

> I look forward to working with you,

I'm also very happy to be working with you and Anne on this.

adam

--
Adam Hyde
FLOSS Manuals