[OLPC library] XO doc status update 12/7/07

Anne Gentle annegentle at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 10:51:02 EST 2007

Here's the status update for the end-user doc this week.

Looks like I can edit the laptop wiki pages if I tread very carefully and
use IE only, not Firefox. There's still ONE missing set of square brackets
in one of the battery-related sections that if I try to correct it, it hoses
my connection every time. So if someone could try to fix that for me, that
would be awesome. It's in this section:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Simplified_user_guide#Removing_the_battery

Got my emulation working thanks to a response from this list, thanks Bert! I
needed to download the ext3 version, not jffs2 version.

I uploaded a wiki-fied version of the French translation of the simplified
user guide (used the HTML to wikimedia wikitext translator at
http://diberri.dyndns.org/wikipedia/html2wiki/
).

I uploaded a zipped copy of the Russian translation of the simplified user
guide to the wiki.

I updated the wiki page and the Author-it files with new information about
how to install a new activity using MaMaMedia as an example, and also how to
delete files using the Journal to conserve disk space. I re-wrote the
introduction for brevity (Todd, I loved it as it was but had to edit it down
a bit!) I am now using the graphic that Jon made in the Author-it files and
I will also incorporate it into the wiki. I want to add more images as I go
and have been able to do so but I'd like to use more screenshots.

For work towards a single-HTML file version, I sent the generated HTML files
(out of Author-it) to SJ and will do some cleanup based on his suggestions -
add index entries, get a left-hand frame working correctly. I'll also try to
use the OLPC logo and colors via the CSS (unless Seth is doing something
along those lines already, let me know). Need to add Ctrl-U for "View
source" when in the Browse Activity. I'll see what I can get done today.

I'm also interested in using DITA as a repository format so I was glad to
see some discussion there. Let me know if I can help with that.

I finally got onto IRC in the #olpc-content channel last night. :)

Thanks all for the help this week. We got a lot done, and I want to publicly
acknowledge everyone who has helped me.
Anne Gentle
e:annegentle at gmail.com
b:www.justwriteclick.com