[OLPC library] Anyone familiar with addons.mozilla.org?

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 17:46:09 EST 2007

Hi folks.  Recent addition to the list here.  I had a conversation with SJ
Klein, and he recommended that I come and start the same discussion on
this list -- so here I am.

It's clear that one of the biggest challenges for OLPC is infrastructure
to support activity development.

Has anyone considered the use of the codebase that powers
addons.mozilla.org?

It seems to me like the two projects will be working to solve nearly
identical problems:

1. A place for users to download cool addons;
2. A place for developers to upload cool addons;
3. A way for users to rate addons they like/don't like;
4. A way for translators to localize metadata about the addons.

Replace "addons" with "activities", and it seems like it could be a pretty
good fit.

Some upsides to the addons.mozilla.org codebase (also called "Remora"):

1. Open source, yay!
2. A team of full-time developers working on the codebase.
3. A well-funded organization that depends upon the codebase.
4. A community of users and developers who might help OLPC figure out how
to hack/patch Remora for OLPC's needs.

Just an idea.  I'm sure a lot of folks are thinking about this stuff.

--g

--
Greg DeKoenigsberg
Community Development Manager