[OLPC India] OLPCs at Deepam

Karthikeyan Vijayakumar kk at deepam.in
Sun Mar 28 11:20:50 EDT 2010

Hello All,

Good to see OLPC deployment in Rajasthan.

I thought i will update the group on our effort in Chennai, India. Our
effort with OLPC is on a small scale - we use 10 OLPCs at Deepam (
www.deepam.org.in ), to teach 5th grade students at a school in Chennai. We
use netbooks / laptops at our other centres.

We have been using the OLPCs since January and feedback from the students (
for whom, OLPC is their 1st computer exposure ) has been very encouraging.

Some pics..

http://blog.deepam.org.in/2010/02/10-new-olpcs-donated-to-deepam.html
<http://blog.deepam.org.in/2010/02/10-new-olpcs-donated-to-deepam.html>
http://blog.deepam.org.in/2009/12/new-deepam-centre-vrs.html

*About Deepam :*

<http://blog.deepam.org.in/2009/12/new-deepam-centre-vrs.html>

Deepam is an NGO Working to empower lesser-privileged children with access
to information and opportunity through Education, in Chennai, India. The
children we work with often come from deeply disadvantaged
backgrounds.Through mentorship & coaching, we transfer four sets of
practical skills to these children:

   1. Computer and internet usage;
   2. Language and communication skills, particularly in English;
   3. Current and social affairs awareness;
   4. Personality development.

The first of these - computers, and the internet - lies at the core of our
effort, and is used to drive the other three. These four skills, we believe,
will give them a base of tools and help the children understand, identify,
and access opportunity for themselves.

Deepam reaches out to over 220 children through 6 centres around Chennai, in
India. Over 60 active volunteers (drawn from our volunteer pool of over 250
members) teach the children for 2 hours every weekend. We use netbooks,
laptops, and the Internet as teaching tools and resources, even as we teach
children the skills needed to use them.

More about Deepam can be found on the web, here http://www.deepam.org.in

--
Karthikeyan Vijayakumar