[OLPC India] Fake OLPC South Asia

Saurabh Adhikari adhikaris at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 26 13:04:36 EDT 2010

1: It looked fake as the registration details seemed to have been deliberately hidden. Someone with little to hide may not choose to so in the event of a public cause.

2: A volunteer effort should be seen as a volunteer effort, not an official part of an organization when it is not.

3: Would anyone be able to create an UN South Asia? Or Amnesty South Asia or Transparency International South Asia without being embroiled in immediate legal challenges?

4: OLPC South Asia gives the impression of being a regional body of OLPC, which it is clearly not.

5: When India and China organizations were announced, there was an official press release: http://www.google.co.in/#hl=en&q=satish-jha%2Banthony-wong+olpc&aq=&aqi=&aql=&oq=satish-jha%2Banthony-wong+olpc&gs_rfai=&fp=22e37276bca27659

Do we have an official press release for OLPC South Asia as well?

Clarity usually helps. Such voluntary efforts create more confusion than good.

Governments do not like to purchase from organizations with no defined structures either.

Quite possible the effort is full of goodwill. But while some volunteers may feel excited about it, its going to harm the cause of OLPC

Sincerely,

S Adhikari