[OLPC India] OLPC in The Telegraph

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 15:10:41 EDT 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 11:06 AM, Saurabh Adhikari<adhikaris at hotmail.com> wrote:
> This looks like one of the more positive stories on OLPC in the Indian
> media..

Partly positive, partly negative. It reads to me as the work of people
who still carry a burden of colonialism. "Can we do this ourselves?"
seems to be the all-pervading doubt, in spite of all that India has
done itself. But we see the same attitude inculcated in the public
schools of the former Imperial powers. "No, no, we can't do that," is
the constant confident refrain of the reactionary forces to any new
proposal. "Can we?" is the tentative, plaintive query of the
progressives.

"Whether you think you can do something, or think you can't, you're
right."--Henry Ford

Disciple: I wish to make a Buddha. Can I?
Master: Yes, you can.
Disciple: Can't I?
Master: No, you can't.
--Zen Buddhist Koan